Tuesday, June 30, 2015

QueenieAnswers: Getting Behind on Freebies

Hi. I started doing free readings and now I'm behind so I closed them, but I started doubting myself as a reader since I'm so new like 'should I really be doing readings?' so I haven't gotten to the anons in my inbox even though it's been a little while now & I feel really bad about it. Could you please give me some suggestions? :(

First of all, don’t beat yourself up!  It’s so easy to get overwhelmed and fall behind, I’ve definitely been there.

How long is a little while?  A few days?  A week?  No big deal, really (depending on how many you have waiting).  When you’re two, three weeks behind, or a month or more, you don’t even know if the reading would even be relevant anymore.  And you can’t really ask the querant when they’re all anon sitting in your inbox.  It’s going to have to be up to you to decide if you’re going to finish those waiting.  I would suggest you do!  They might really need to hear what you say, and at the very least, it’s good practice.  If you decide not to finish them up, then you should probably make some kind of announcement/apology about it on your blog.

If you’re getting asks wondering about where their reading is, just apologize and either let them know that you won’t be able to do it, or ask if they’re willing to wait until you get caught up.  If you’re getting attitude about it, try not to let it get to you.  You’re human, you have limited time and energy.
Try not to doubt yourself too much.  It’s fine if you’re new, how else are you supposed to grow if not by actually doing readings?  There is only so much you can learn from books and reading for yourself… but at the same time, never stop reading up on new materials whenever you can get your hands on them! ;)

Often, doing tarot readings is quite literally a thankless job, *especially* when you’re doing freebies.  I don’t know what it is, but I know I and a lot of the other readers here in the community can do dozens of readings, free or otherwise, and only get a thank you or acknowledgement from a few people, so if you’re doubting yourself because no one’s gotten back to you, don’t even worry about it.

If you plan on offering readings in the future, make sure you have enough time in your schedule to get them done.  Make a weekend out of it when you have nothing else going on, or take the first 10 people that get to your inbox.  If you *absolutely have to* close your inbox to prevent more requests.  When I close free readings, anything that lands in my inbox after I’ve made the announcement, I make sure to respond to them asap to let them know that they’ve missed the deadline, privately if possible, but publicly when they’re anon.  That way at least they’re not waiting around for a reading they’ll never get.
You’ll figure out how many readings you’re comfortable with doing eventually, and with practice you’ll gain more stamina to do more at a time.  Keep at it! :)