Monday, October 26, 2015

October Decklust: Halloween Oracle

I should have done this earlier in the month but it didn't occur to me!  Next month's decklust won't be so late.  For now, we're looking at the Halloween Oracle, by Stacey DeMarco.

Of course, this time of year inspires a want for a spooky chilly deck.  I got this one for my birthday in early September, along with the Ghost Tarot, both of which I use for my limited time Spooky Spreads.  




The 36 cards in this deck have a delicious autumn vibe.  Each card gets about a page and a half in the 80 page guidebook although only about a paragraph gives an interpretation suggestion.  Most of the text has more to do with the history of each symbol in autumn festivals, which is helpful if, like me, you've never heard of barmbrack.  The deck as a whole is an exploration of various customs and themes surrounding what most of us know as Halloween.  



 These five cards especially, Trick-or-Treat, Jack-O'-Lantern, the Lamp, Barmbrack, and Hearth are extra warm and cozy.  They bring to mind the sound of dry leaves rustling in the wind, children squealing in mock fright, the smell of wood burning, a mug of warm coffee in your hands.  This is the fun face of Halloween, innocent fun and appreciation for cooler breezes after a brutal summer.  This is hay rides and pumpkin picking, carving jack o' lanterns and collecting leaves fallen from the ground.  There's a wholesomeness here, a sense of family.  I guess I'm projecting quite a bit!  But these cards give me the warm and fuzzies.  







What Halloween deck would be complete without a few monsters?  The Halloween Oracle delivers with all the classics!  Invisibility, showing a shrouded figure, the Witch, Vampire, Zombie, Werewolf, and even Mummy are included.  There's a Ghost card as well, but somehow it slipped out of this picture.






My three favorite cards: Scrying, Apple, and Forgiveness













One thing about the deck that really irks me is the repetition.  I find it shows a lack of imagination.. almost laziness.  I've seen some repetition in other decks as well, Madame Endora's Fortune Cards come to mind, but this is a bit ridiculous.  These skulls are all exactly the same at the base layer although some do have slight differences: missing teeth or an extra crack or so.  Even the titles lack imagination.  The Skull of Darkness, the Skull of Flowers, etc.  As a bonus, Skeleton and Eternal Love, featuring our friend Skull and identical skeletons.  This is something I was warned about while considering the deck, but I still like the overall vibe.  




I'm mostly happy with this addition to my collection, and it's definitely fun to feature for fall themed readings.  The guidebook is just vague enough to encourage intuitive readings, which I do enjoy.  And I like the subtle reminder in this card, that of course any Game of Thrones fan doesn't even need.  Winter is coming.