Thursday, January 30, 2014

Your Own Worst Enemy


I've been doing a lot of tarot readings this week.  It helps, of course, that I'm off of work until Friday.  Mini vacation, right here! 


Anytime I find myself doing almost back to back tarot readings, I'm surprised by how often I'll see a few cards.  I mean, hello, there are 78 cards in the deck, and I shuffle thoroughly between readings, I promise you.  So why do the same few cards pop up so damn often?   Well, because they have something to tell you, of course! 

Lately the message is: the only person holding you back is YOU!  The Eight of Swords is the most familiar card in my decks.  I know that everyone interprets a little bit differently, but usually to me the Eight of Swords represents a feeling of hopelessness.  It's when you're in a  shitty situation, and you feel like there's not much, if anything, you can do about it.  Except you'd be wrong.  Despite all that you think, you're far from powerless and the key to your dilemma lies within you. 

So why is it that we get stuck in this place?  Is it so we can avoid taking responsibility for our part in the situation?  Because there's something comfortable about indulging in self pity?   Or is it just that we're too close to the problem?  Whatever the reason, it's clearly something we all go through at one point or another.