Tuesday, December 9, 2014

More Disconnected

I've heard it from all over.  Get more work done and boost creativity by turning off the phone and closing that laptop.. or at least get off of social media. 
One of my favorite hobbies is scrolling endlessly on tumblr.  I used to spend a lot of that time interacting, talking to my tumblr friends.  Now, with my husband's somewhat recent schedule change, my sleep pattern has shifted yet again, and I find that most of my online scrolling time is when those friends are sleeping.  Either because they haven't woken up yet or they've already gone to bed.  So really, I'm just mindlessly wasting my time.  There's no reason why I can't just check for messages, refill my queue, and spend minimal time logged in.  There are plenty of other things I could be doing.  Like..
  • Brainstorming blog posts for DTT
  • Devising New Year spreads for a variety of price points
  • Getting ahead and scheduling FB posts
  • Catch up on relevant reading material
  • Practice with my sewing machine
  • Try out a new crochet pattern (I really want to make some fingerless mitts!)
  • Attempt to train Jasper (pshhh lol)
I have a lot more downtime than I usually realize.  On my nights off, I have around six hours to myself.  Why aren't I doing more with them?!  If I'm not working on client readings, there's plenty of other things I can be doing.  Even on the nights that I do work, depending on what time I get home I have a couple hours to myself to get myself caught up on correspondence and then shut down to get other things done.
I'm not going to wait until 2015 to start spending less time plugged in.  I know it's going to be a hard habit to break.  I've been an internet junkie since I was 14!  I think I've procrastinated long enough.

What habits are you trying to break in 2015?  Hmu, let me know!

*muah
Later lovelies