Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Why Freebies are Still a Thing for Me

This morning Theresa Reed, The Tarot Lady posted this gem:  Six Signs You're Ready to Begin Charging for Your Tarot Readings.

I love Theresa's blog posts because they're short and right to the point.  I read it rather quickly, mentally ticking check marks next to her six signs.  Before I started charging for readings, all of them were true.  And that's cool for me.  You know, there's a feeling of validation.  YES!  I MEET THIS CRITERIA!  THIS WASN'T A CRAZY MOVE TO MAKE!

After the six signs, there are four helpful tips.  It's just the last one... I can't do it yet.

"4. Repeat after me: stop doing freebies.  Let people know that you are now “going pro” and direct them to where they can purchase your services."

UGH!  I have a real problem with this.  It's good advice, don't get me wrong!  I agree with it more than I don't.  I even did this!  I told everyone that I'd stopped doing freebies, I told them where they could obtain my services.  And the first month or so after we launched, it was great.  I was still keeping busy doing what I love, reading for more clients than I honestly expected.  And then after the initial rush, things slowed down.  

And..
I got bored.  I missed reading for other people when I had no orders waiting for me.

So, recently, on a day off, I offered free one card readings on tumblr.  Just a little quick sample of my style.  It kept me happy and busy all day.  I earned tips AND full paying clients.  It was the second time I'd offered freebies since launching DTT.  The first time was so I could break in a couple of new oracle decks.  But it had much the same type of result.  Tips and paying clients. 

So.. I mean it *seems* to be working for me.  For now. 

I know how quickly offering free readings can go from creating buzz and interest to being totally taken for granted.  It won't be special and impactful if I do it too often.  There will definitely come a point when it just won't be a viable option for me.  But for now I do think this is a card I'll keep up my sleeve for awhile (pun intended).  When I have extra time and energy.  When I need to drum up some excitement.

And even if I do offer freebies every once in a while, they're still on my terms.  Seekers still have to follow the DTT Code of Ethics.  And the questions need to come in while I'm taking them.  No pity readings if anyone missed the boat.  

Am I maybe making excuses and trying to justify this to myself?

Hella.


Love you tarotmigos!
*muah